Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Dark Night

Its a Saturday-29th march 2009.

A cloudy afternoon.3 PM.Very very windy.I could barely manage to cycle to the Seagle Building(the place where i work) from the bus-stop.The opposing winds were too hard on me and the cycle.Little did i know that this was just the beginning.

9 PM.I cycle again to the bus-stop.The rain gods start pounding this part of the earth black n blue.That too with heavy loads of lightning and thunder.No wonder Florida is called the Lightning Capital.The 8-10 seconds i took to put my cycle on the bus drenched me big time.I am all wet.I could only see the merciless rain hitting the windshield, sitting in the frontmost seat of the bus.Nothing else.I just wanted to reach home asap and hit the shower.

The driver took about 10-15 to minutes to get me to my apt complex.And guess wat else cud go wrong now amidst the heavy thunderstorms ????.Theres a POWERCUT.Yeah u read it right !! I unload my bicycle from the bus n get ready to ride it till my apt.I can feel the hard rain hitting me. And i could see one more thing which was very abundant.Darkness !! wow...Never ever had i seen Gainesville go so dark.I Somehow managed to ride my bike for 2-3 mins to my apt.

I was finally happy that i reached home.Little did i think that i could do nothing without this thing called ELECTRICITY.My internet wouldnt work, my stove wudnt switch on to cook something, I cant charge my almost dead cellphone, I cant switch on the lights, i dont get hot water in the shower.And to add to all these i was my lone companion in my apt.I must say that everything comes to a standstill here without electricity.Except the clock though.I somehow managed to hav a quick shower in the cold water and hit the bed listening to "Yeh Jo Des Hai Tera" from Swades.

Its now 3 AM.I'm still awake,writing this.The rain gods are still at war.The thunder and lightning are hitting really really and i mean REALLY hard.Dunno if its gonna be a sleepless night.

 
 

6 comments:

Ashish said...

Oye, you never told me you had a cycle there. I am surprised by the fact that you can load your cycle into a bus and travel by bus. You also haven't told me that you have a job, which I suppose is a telephone interviewer(from your orkut profile).
Lastly nice choice of song, considering that there was no electricity.

Goutham said...

Cool man. Probably its the first time you experienced power-cut in US.

Pavan Kumar said...

@goutham:no...this is the fourth time...the first 2 times were during the day and it lasted 2 mins....the third was also during the day which lasted for 30 mins...but then yesterday's was horrible...the power went out for probably 2 hours or so....that too during the night and in the middle of thunderstorms...

Dattatreya said...

Perhaps its the right time to experiment with your new camera.. start clicking the "Divine Flashes" :)

Dattatreya said...

oh.. and you have a job ? Neat :)

Pavan Kumar said...

@ashish:yeah..i do hav a cycle now...and a job too..!!..and u can carry cycles with the bus....the front part of the buses hav a foldable thing which can carry cycles...and yeah..telephone interviewer it is :)

@datta:when it pours, it pours real bad here.let alone clicking pics...the first thing to do wud be running for cover...can get a pic if its only lightning without any rain...and yeah...twice now, i hav seen the biggest moon ever in my life :)...